|Fire closes Loose Ends Saloon|
|Written by Chris Case|
|Tuesday, 05 June 2012 22:24|
The Loose Ends Saloon, a Cuba nightclub known for its live music and drunken brawls, burned this week in a fire deemed accidental.
Foul play was ruled out following an investigation on Monday by the state fire marshal’s office, and the fire investigation is now considered closed. The building was insured and reportedly will be repaired, although there is considerable roof damage. There is no timetable yet for a possible reopening date. The fire was said to have been caused by faulty electrical wiring in the attic, although no definite cause was determined.
Assistant Fire Chief Doug Shockley of the Cuba Fire Department stated that the roof was “all but totally gone. The trusses had quite a bit of damage to them and they were pretty much destroyed. It’s a total roof rebuild for sure.”
Shockley said the fire originated in the attic and was contained to the attic. However, the damage there was extensive due to the heat and fire stress put upon the trusses. Quite a bit of water was sprayed into the attic area to suppress the fire and that added weight to the roof also put undue stress on its structure. The trusses suffered enough damage to cause them to partially collapse from the stress and weight.
Part of the ceiling was also destroyed during fire suppression, but most of the damages on the bar level were caused by smoke and water, rather than the fire.
According to reports from the scene, there were people present in the building to clean it for the day’s business when the fire sparked. They were having difficulty getting all the lights to come on and some of the overhead lights were flickering on and off. Smoke could be smelled and was spotted coming from the ceiling tiles. When the owner arrived and walked inside, fire shot out of a vent.
A call to 911 was made at 11:42 a.m. Monday morning. The Cuba Fire Department arrived on scene at 11:50 a.m. to begin suppression efforts. Within an hour, the fire had been put out and the fire marshal called for official investigation of the scene.
There were no injuries reported.
The streets surrounding Loose Ends, which is located on East Main, were filled with onlookers that morning, watching smoke billow from an attic vent at the rear of the building. By Monday afternoon, as word of the bar fire spread on Facebook, a number of cars drove by the saloon to assess the damage, which from the outside is hard to discern.
For more photos of the Loose Ends fire scene, visit the Cuba Free Press Facebook page.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 June 2012 14:38|